Testing & Validation
Businesses that measure their emissions have the opportunity to make informed decisions that lead to improved efficiency and reduced emissions. The practical applicability of the GLEC Framework to complex multi-modal settings was tested by companies as part of the LEARN project. Download a summary here. The full report will be available in March 2019.
Following the development of research questions and testing methods, companies were invited to participate, supported by different LEARN consortium partners. The 30 companies that completed the testing represented shippers from various industry sectors, logistics service providers, carriers and operators of different sizes. They jointly covered all transport modes and different logistics sites in Europe and other parts of the world. To ensure broad validity of results, the tests included companies with limited and advanced carbon accounting experience, in-house and external tools, and own and subcontracted fleets and logistics services. Feedback was obtained from through questionnaires and analyzed by industry and accounting experts.
The testing with companies resulted in an increased understanding of
- Drivers, enablers and barriers of logistics emissions accounting
- Applying the GLEC Framework by companies in practice
- Data availability and data exchange
Results from the test cases were used to develop Challenge Cases that support businesses to implement the GLEC Framework through give steps:
Cases cover the following challenges and will be updated and expanded in time:
- How to adopt the GLEC Framework in combination with the methodologies, tools or standards they have been working with so far? Download here
- How to integrate the collection, processing and reporting of data needed to calculate fuel use and emissions into the existing TMS and broader IT systems of the company? Download here
- How to apply the GLEC Framework to specific segments and/or combinations of multiple modes and logistics sites of their logistics supply chain? Download here
- How to report results from applying the GLEC Framework to customers and the public/external stakeholders using the GLEC Declaration? Download here
- How to use the results from using the GLEC Framework for different decisions and implementation of actions that improve efficiency and reduce emissions? Download here
Lessons learned were also used to inform the updated GLEC Framework (a new version will be available mid-2019) and the GLEC Declaration that standardizes reporting, give recommendations for policy and research, develop fact sheets for calculation tools, and support training materials for carriers